C. Multiple Program Sites:
Some institutions have multiple (aka satellite) campuses offering the same program, and often intend for the campuses’ offerings to function as a single program.
For accreditation to cover a satellite campus, it is generally the case that the program at that campus must be fully operational and that the satellite campus is visited as part of the overall site visit.
In the DS, make it very clear what campus(es) the accreditation and the review covers: “The current accreditation covers the program offered at the Springfield campus; this review covers the programs offered at both the Springfield and Shelbyville campuses. Both campuses were visited.”
This distinction is required by the APPM – that the institution must represent the accreditation status of each program accurately and without ambiguity.
Contact your Editors if there are any questions ASAP; sometimes these issues are resolved through ABET HQ.
F. International Visits:
- Additional training/information materials for international evaluations are available. (See the MYABET website.)
- Travel policies and procedures
- Tips and recommendations
- Above average flexibility required
Example: Materials must be in English, but that may not be reasonable for student work.
G. Joint/Simultaneous Visits:
- Flexibility required for joint and simultaneous visits
- Be conscious of portraying “one” ABET
- Work closely with team chairs from other commissions
- Be proactive and call the other TC to negotiate what each is in charge of
- Be aware of commission differences in communication model
- Include strengths in exit statement
- Be careful they do not conflict with shortcomings!
- May need to modify your standard procedures
For a combined Exit Meeting, note that there is now a common Exit Meeting template
L. Serving Multiple Commissions:
- You can only be a Commissioner for at most one Commission at a time.
- It is permissible to serve as a PEV for another Commission, as well as for CAC, while being a Commissioner/TC for CAC.
- Be careful not to overextend yourself.
- Once your CAC visit dates are set, go to your AMS 2.0 MYABET homepage, click on Volunteer Profile (the third icon down on the left) and indicate that you are NOT available for those dates anymore.
- The professional society that you represent as a PEV uses the availability dates information for assigning PEVs to visit programs.
They have no knowledge of what you’ve already been assigned to, so unless you update your information, you might find yourself being invited as a PEV to visit another program at the same time of your CAC TC visit! (Yes, this has happened.)