B. ASAC Updates and Reminders
A complete summary of changes in criteria and in policies and procedures since 2011 – 2012 can be found in Keep up with Accreditation Changes. Those who have not recently participated in a program review should review these changes.
- ASAC Draft Statement/Exit Meeting Format. The Team Chair will compose the institutional overview as well as the summary section, while the program sections will be taken from the PEV exit meeting statements. The Team Chair will merge the exit statement sections composed by the PEV’s. The Draft Statement findings must be identical to the exit meeting statement and the PAF.
- Application and Interpretation of new ASAC Criteria definitions and/or wording changes.
Note the usage as follows:
Use of attain rather than achieve.
Use of Student Outcomes rather than Program Outcomes.
Use of review rather than evaluation.
Use of on-site rather than visiting.
For Construction Management reviews: Use of program specific criteria and areas of emphasis covered in programs.
3. Criterion 3. If you identify a shortcoming in Criterion 3, then your written description of the finding should make it clear whether any of the program attributes serve as the program’s student outcomes. This clarification will be of benefit to the readers and editors of the statement. N.B. – Criterion 3 enables students to achieve certain characteristics; it does not explicitly state that all students will have achieved them.
4.Criterion 4. The criterion requires assessment of the extent to which student outcomes are being attained. Effective assessment may be: Measures based on actual student performance goals, but not necessarily quantitative.
5. Policy Issues. Issues based on the ABET Accreditation Policy and Procedure Manual (APPM) can be easily overlooked during an on-site visit.
6. Name of the Program – should be exactly as it appears on the RFE and used on all institution documents, transcripts, etc.
7. Modes and Locations – all sites for a program must be reviewed.
8. Alternate Paths to a Degree – all options, paths, specialties, etc. must be evaluated and they must meet criteria for accreditation.
9. Remember to download the new criteria, APPM, and forms for a comprehensive visit including the ASAC PEV Workbook. Do not use forms from a previous cycle!
Please complete this short survey. Your feedback is important. Thank you!