Rules and Regulations
Every year hundreds of thousands of graduates all over the world count on ABET accreditation to ensure that when they hit the job market their education has prepared them to succeed in their careers.
We want to know what that confidence means to our students. This video competition aims to capture the confidence that students have in their ABET-accredited education.
When a student enrolls in an ABET-accredited program, they know their education will prepare them to build bridges, design pacemakers or create the infrastructure that allows society to live in a seamless, digital world. They want to play a role in creating the technologies that make the world a better place. ABET accreditation gives students, their future employers and society the confidence that they have what it takes to build a safer, more sustainable world.
About the #ABETconfident Video Contest
ABET accredits university programs in the STEM fields. Becoming ABET-accredited doesn’t happen overnight. Faculty put in a great deal of effort above and beyond their work in the classroom to become accredited. And for many programs, the students who benefit the most from accreditation have no idea what kind of process or preparation goes into meeting that global standard.
Through the #ABETconfident Video Contest, we’re encouraging faculty to communicate the value of ABET accreditation to their students, while giving the students a platform to convey their confidence in the caliber of the education they are receiving, and where they are investing their hard work, time and money.
How You Can Join
Discuss with your students how you are using ABET accreditation and program assessment to improve their education. You put a lot of hard work into keeping your lessons cutting-edge, so take the time to explain how you are assessing their educational experience and the role that ABET accreditation plays in communicating that value to employers and society.
ABET accreditation is a signal to employers that your education has prepared you to work with the technologies that build safer planes, enable faster internet and discover more sustainable energy solutions. It gives the world confidence that you are ready to enter a global workforce. Tell us what that confidence means to you.
Gather your students or classmates and create a 2-3 minute video that shares your definition of what it means to be #ABETconfident. Your video should capture:
- Why being confident in the quality of your education is important to you
- Your confidence that your courses are preparing you to succeed in your career
- Confidence that you will be in the best position to get a job after graduation because you are graduating from an ABET-accredited program
Show us what being #ABETconfident means to you.
- All-access passes to the 2017 ABET Symposium for up to two students and one faculty member to meet and network with leaders from companies like UPS, IBM and Boeing.
- Round trip, economy flights to Baltimore for up to two students — to be selected and purchased by ABET’s travel staff.
- Three nights of hotel accommodations for up to two students.
- Showing your video to faculty from around the world at the Symposium
- Co-leading a session with ABET staff at the Symposium on communicating the value of accreditation to other students
- Three tickets to a Baltimore Orioles baseball game against the Boston Red Sox for students and faculty member.
The #ABETconfident Video Contest opens for submissions on November 10, 2016 at 11:59 pm EST and closes submissions on February 20, 2017 at 11:59 pm EST. Entries submitted after the contest period will not be considered.
The contest will be judged by a panel of ABET staff and professionals from both academia and industry. Entries will be judged on adherence to theme, creativity, authenticity and execution. Judging will begin on February 21, 2017 and winners will be announced March 3, 2017.
The contest is open to students and faculty members who belong to any U.S. or international programs currently holding ABET accreditation. Entrants must submit a signed release form upon entering the contest, and must be 18 years old or older to participate.
How to Submit
- STEP 1: Submit a completed Official Entry Form that includes a live link to your submitted video to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 pm EST on January 30, 2017.
- STEP 2: Post your video to an institution or program-specific public social media account with the hashtag #ABETconfident.
We will send an email to the address provided on the Official Entry Form confirming receipt of the video and acknowledging its eligibility after you post it to social media.
- Videos must be between two (2) and three (3) minutes long
- All entries must be the original work of students who are enrolled in the college or university that is being represented in the video.
- Overlays and animations are acceptable; though genuine student testimonies must be included.
- Entries must not be inappropriate, indecent or obscene as determined by the judging panel.
- One entry per ABET-accredited program. Institutions may have multiple entries from separate programs.
- Videos must include a student saying, “I am ABET confident,” or a group of students saying, “we are ABET confident,” along with a graphic that reads #ABETconfident.
All videos submitted, whether advancing to become the winning entry or not, will be considered the property of ABET. They may be used, published or republished, in whole or in part, royalty free, in any electronic media and in promotional material, including recruitment and online publications. By submitting your videos for consideration, you provide ABET with exclusive ownership of the video.
If your video wins, it will be hosted on the ABET website, posted on ABET’s social media channels and shown at conferences all over the world.
By submitting a video, you affirm that all students featured in the video are at least 18 years old and agree to be publicly shown in the video.