Assessment Reading List
Use these documents to develop your program’s assessment process. Each one contains proven guidance and tools for designing an effective assessment plan.
Assessment Planning Tools
- Establish Assessment Timelines and Responsibilities (PDF)
An example of how a program can develop a systematic process for assessment.
- Sample Protocol for Pilot-Testing Survey Items (PDF)
Piloting surveys is one of several steps that can be taken to ensure effectiveness.
- Assessment Planning Matrix (DOC)
An example of how assessment process can be documented and communicated to various constituents.
- Self-Assessment Tool (PDF)
Use this to evaluate your program’s assessment process development.
- Nationally Normed Assessment Instruments
Many programs have successfully employed nationally normed examinations such as the Fundamentals of Engineering exam developed and administered by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying as an integral element of their program assessment process.
Assessment Planning Articles
- Assessment: Could You Please Repeat the Question? (PDF)
- Assessment: The Ultimate Open-Ended Question (PDF)
- Death by Assessment: How Much Data Are Too Much? (PDF)
- Direct and Indirect Assessment: What Are They Good For? (PDF)
- Do Grades Make the Grade for Program Assessment? (PDF)
- Lessons Learned: Things I Wish I Had Known (PDF)
- Making a List and Checking It Twice (PDF)
- Surveys and Questionnaires: Do They Measure Up? (PDF)
- Using Course or Test Grades for Program Assessment (PDF)
Participate in ABET’s Assessment Events
- Program Assessment Workshops
- The ABET Symposium
- The Institute for the Development of Excellence in Assessment Leadership (IDEAL)