We are currently seeking nominations for a Public Director to serve on our Board of Directors.
ABET Public Directors are eligible to serve two 3-year terms and there is no incumbent eligible for this appointment. The term of service is from October 2019 – October 2022.
We invite you to submit nominations by including the name, contact information, and CV/biography of the candidate. Please confirm the willingness of the nominee to be considered, as well as their eligibility based on the requirements below. Nominations should be emailed to email@example.com by February 6, 2019.
Public Directors are individuals of trust and responsibility in their communities. The Public Director shall not otherwise be affiliated with the specific professions represented by ABET. Public Directors enjoy all the privileges of governance including voting. Their qualifications, and terms of service are defined in the Bylaws.
ABET expects that all members of the ABET Board will:
- Act in the best interests of ABET;
- Attend up to four ABET Board meetings per year;
- Be informed about the affairs of ABET and by reading all informational material provided with board meeting agendas and relevant ABET literature;
- Be informed about issues facing ABET and provide input to the strategic planning process;
- Serve on committees and task groups as requested by the ABET President.
- Board of Directors members are required to participate in New Board Member Orientation prior to assuming a seat on the Board of Directors.
In order to effectively perform the duties and responsibilities of an ABET Director, ABET expects that all directors will:
- Possess good listening skills;
- Make reasonable inquiry when the need to do so is indicated, and objectively use the information received;
- Possess good interpersonal skills, conduct Board activities in an objective and professional manner, and work effectively on a team of individuals possessing diverse experience, perspectives, and personalities;
- Handle confidential information in a prudent manner; and abide by the ABET Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest Policy;
- Possess good oral communication skills; and be able to present points of view in a public setting in a concise and effective manner;
- Be prompt in discharge of duties and tasks and be conscientious in meeting established deadlines.
- The Public Director is elected by the ABET Board of Delegates. The individual shall be a person of trust and responsibility in his or her community and not affiliated by training or practice with the disciplines of interest to ABET. The Public Director shall not hold membership in any of the societies that are Members or Associate Members of ABET.
- All directors must have access to email and the Internet.
Our Board typically meets in person twice per year (spring and fall) and by teleconference in the summer and winter. In addition, Public Directors must be available for travel to Baltimore and other US locations as required. This position is non-paying, but travel expenses for all Board activities are reimbursed by ABET.