ABET has been closely monitoring the evolving situation related to the coronavirus COVID-19 in recent weeks. We know individuals and institutions are under tremendous stress in these uncertain times, and the full impact of this global health crisis still remains to be seen. As we navigate these challenges together, please be assured that we are committed to supporting our common goal of ensuring our world’s sustainability, safety, health and well-being.
Below, you’ll find several announcements regarding this year’s accreditation cycle and upcoming ABET events and programs. Please check this page for additional updates as the situation evolves.
ABET volunteers: please log in to MyABET for additional information.
Updated June 2, 2020
Accreditation: COVID-19 Update
ABET understands the need for programs to temporarily modify program delivery and grading methods in order to safeguard their communities during the current health crisis caused by COVID-19. It is not necessary to report any short term (current, summer or fall semester) changes to program delivery, content or grading methods to us. Should the changes or modifications to the program become permanent, please refer to the ABET Accreditation Policy and Procedure Manual (Section I.F.1.b.(2)) to formally notify us of any changes during the period of accreditation.
Please let us know if you will require additional time beyond the July 1 deadline for submission of Self-Study Reports as a result of the COVID-19 impact to your program.
Upcoming 2020-2021 Accreditation Cycle
All reviews will be conducted remotely. ABET representatives will not physically visit campuses this cycle, but instead will conduct the reviews by means of video conference and email. ABET staff and the Commission Executive Committees will be working through the particulars of the virtual reviews in the immediate future. Institutions will be contacted individually to discuss details of the reviews. The in-person Institutional Representative Day is canceled and will be replaced by video conference format. Details will be released as they are developed.
As always, please do not hesitate to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and concerns about program delivery or planning for an upcoming review.
We understand that universities and colleges are dealing with unprecedented changes to their operations and budgets as they work to reallocate resources and continue to educate students. In light of these challenges, we are reducing all maintenance fees for the 2020-2021 accreditation cycle by 5%.
Adjustments to fees will be reflected in the next invoice.
If you have specific questions about your program, please contact email@example.com.
July 2020 Commission Meetings
The July 2020 Commission meetings will be conducted remotely. Commission leadership and staff are finalizing the arrangements and will provide all information and details to Commissioners, Team Chairs and Society Liaisons as they are developed. The in-person Institutional Representative Day is canceled and will be replaced by meetings with Team Chairs using video conference format. Details will be released as they are developed.
We have temporarily closed the ABET headquarters office, and all staff are working remotely. We appreciate your patience regarding potential delays in communication with ABET employees, package deliveries, etc. as we work to resolve them as quickly as possible.
Engineering Credentials Evaluation International (ECEI)
We are temporarily unable to provide copies of ECEI Credentials Evaluation Reports. We appreciate your patience, and we will respond to all requests when the ABET headquarters office reopens.
Upcoming Events and Workshops may be postponed. We will make a determination about future events and send out notifications two weeks prior to the event so participants can make adjustments to their travel plans.
- We are planning to reschedule the Fundamentals of Program Assessment Workshops, Advanced Program Assessment Workshops and Self-Study Workshop that were to be held March 30 and April 1 in Nashville as soon as it’s safe to do so.
- We have canceled the Program Evaluator Candidate (PEVC) Training sessions scheduled for April, May and June. If you have questions, please contact ABET’s Training Manager.
- The Fundamentals of Program Assessment Workshop (FPAW) that was scheduled for April 18 in conjunction with the ASEE-NE 2020 Regional Conference has been postponed until October 2020.
- We have canceled the Continuous Improvement Assessment Forum (CIAF) that was scheduled to be held June 5-6 at ABET Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland.
- We have canceled the Institute for the Development of Excellence in Assessment Leadership (IDEAL) workshop that was scheduled to be held August 3-6 at ABET Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland.
- We have decided to cancel this year’s ABET Symposium. Please save the date for the 2021 ABET Symposium to be held April 15-16 in Tampa, Florida. Read More